Friday, July 13, 2012

4th of July 2012!

The 4th of July is one of my favorite hoildays--I love the fireworks, parades, BBQs, and the feeling of pride in our not always harmonious country. This year was probably the best 4th I have had in several years. I did not have to work on the holiday and I was with my husband and adorable daughter all day, as well as with my parents. We began the celebration several days before by watching a History Channel video on the founding fathers. It is always remarkable to me that so many different men with different interests who all basically hated each other were able to get together in a non-air conditioned room in the middle of summer wearing coats, cravats and wigs and actually accomplish anything, let alone anything that would endure for 240 years. I would be perpetually useless in those circumstances. :) My dad has always been interested in the beginning of America so growing up I always heard stories of the people who gave their lives for the cause that seemed doomed to fail.
The actual 4th began at the parade, around 11:30. It was the perfect day for it, for once in my life I sat through a parade not dying from sun stroke or something.  Elise actually liked it until she fell asleep. The best part was by far the bagpipe band and watching the veterans parade past. I don't know why but bagpipes always feel patriotic to me, like a mixture of my heritage and my present country. I always feel proud of our military as well, mostly because of my grandpa, who served in WWII. He has been my hero my whole life, even though he died when I was five. My dad has all of his medals and has always told me stories about the courageous things he did behind enemy lines.
The next part of the day was spent at the pool. We swam and laid in the sun and had a BBQ. It was wonderful. We ended the day by walking to the waterfront of Lake Washington for the Kirkland firework show. We got there early so we played games and read books until it got dark and the show started. It turned out to be the perfect location to sit, as we could see not only our show but about 4 other shows going on for different towns on the huge lake. Elise seemed to like the fireworks as well, she would not take her eyes off them!

Overall the best 4th of July in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment