Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Bitterness for BYU


So anyone who loves Brigham Young University should probably not read this post. This is basically going to be me venting about BYU and why I hate it.
To me, BYU is like this cloak and dagger collection agency, waiting to plunge me into financial ruin. I am a good student, I fill out the forms I need for financial aid, and then I am so foolish as to assume that everything will be just fine and processed correctly. And then one day I get on my financial center and all of a sudden I own 2,000 dollars. Every time I get on its a new surprise--oh, you now owe $500, oh suprise, you now owe $1,000, oh look, watch us drop all your classes for you! Its gotten to the point where I hate checking my financial center because I know something is going to be wrong. "Even though you did everything we told you to do, somewhere something wasn't processed right so now you get to pay us money for our mistakes regarding your account, and as an extra bonus we are not going to tell you until its too late for you to get any kind of help and our phone line is going to be busy all day so you can't call us--oops." Convenient.
Another thing to hate about BYU is its location. Who honestly wants to live in Provo, Utah? The two best seasons of the year last for about 3 weeks. So for the other 46. 18 weeks of the year you are either dying of heat (because your apartment has no AC--apparently after you get married its ok to live in a hole as long as you're together) or trudging in the snow to school. Sounds fun right? No. The weather is awful, there is nothing to do, and housing (at least for married students) is expensive, scarce, and dilapidated.
The last thing I hate about BYU (that I'm going to take the time to write about) is that they won't accept my brother as a student. This is bias of me, I know, but why on earth would you accept a student every year for the spring and summer, let him build up university credit with you through those semesters, independent study, and language tests, and then refuse to accept him permanently? Four times. After he's excelled at everything. So then he chooses to go somewhere else (big shocker) and BYU fails to mail his transcripts like he requested, making it impossible for his new school to accept him either. So there he is, all of his classes dropped, screwed over and over again.
Basically I want to graduate so I no longer have to deal with BYU. I want to move away from Provo--far, far away where there is more to life besides manicures and blonde hair and there are things to do and weather you can actually do them in.
Well this has been Danielle Fraser for your afternoon update on why BYU stinks. Thanks for watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment