Thursday, August 26, 2010

I Will Buy You a Bouquet of Freshly Sharpened Pencils


I was watching You've Got Mail today and I love the lines at the beginning by Tom Hanks: "Don't you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I will buy you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." I love the fall and although the beginning of fall semester is not exactly as exciting at 21 as it is at 7 I am still jazzed for fall leaves, football, Halloween, and bouquets of freshly sharpened pencils!
Some of my best memories are from the autumn season. I remember going school shopping and getting to pick out new folders and pencils and such. On some years I would get a new lunchbox or backpack too. I have a secret love for lunchboxes--the oldschool plastic kind with a thermos and sandwich box inside. Even now I've
considered buying one for myself, but they don't seem to sell them anymore. I can only find the new kind that are boring mesh with insulation and come in block colors.
After the new school year feeling started to fade Halloween would come. As a kid my mom made all of our Halloween costumes and every year they were different--until I was about 7 or 8 I think. Every year after that I was a witch with my best friend Elexia. It is probably still my favorite costume and I keep looking at patterns and fabric to see if I can make myself a witch costume some year.
And (as mentioned before) the only good thing about living in Utah County is that the leaves change color which
makes fall the best (and probably only) season to live here. September and October are filled with walks in the park and hikes in the canyon, pressed leaves in books, pumpkin carving, and the smell of cinnamon and cloves and apple cider. Definitely the best season.
To leave my reminiscing before I finish typing, last night I went fishing with my father- and brother-in-law and my husband. I caught two catfish and we caught 7 in all. The biggest one I got weighed 6 pounds, which is bigger than I've ever caught before! It was flopping around and was difficult to hold so Jim held it for me in the picture. The other one I got was 4 pounds. I was very excited. He is very nice to take us--I'm a difficult person to teach sometimes. :)

1 comment:

  1. oh i just love this post daniellee!!! it makes me even more excited for fall!! the one thing we didnt have growing up huh?--the beautiful fall colors everywhere! at least not in NB!! i am def excited to go up the canyon ive heard its just so pretty here in the fall! we will have to go together!!!! and being witches for halloween was sooo much fun wasnt it? i will never forget our good times growing up!! you are the best and thank you so much for sunday dinner the other day, you are an amazing cook you know it!!! love you :) oh and p.s. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the school buses my dad would appreciate your page very much ;)

    ReplyDelete