Friday, August 13, 2010

New Addition


So we have a new addition to our family! Her name is Chloe (although of course we are not really sure she is a girl) and she is a pearlscale fish. As you can see from the picture, she looks like she is either pregnant or choking on a large rock. Neither is actually true, and if I knew more about fish I could tell you why she looks that way. Anyway, our original intention was to put her in Jonathan's tank (he is the Black Moor we've had for a few months). We treat our fish mostly like people so we assumed he was lonely and would enjoy a friend. Although technically they should get along (the two species can live together) like a first child Jonathan was not thrilled about sharing his bedroom with our little newcomer. He repeatedly chased her around the tank and once got her caught between the wall and the filter. Even after we spanked him with a spoon he would not tolerate her company. So we decided to put her out of her misery and we moved her to a different tank. She is now living in much happier circumstances and I'm sure her stress levels are lower. Some people's kids!
In other news I now live in Spanish Fork. It is actually quite beautiful here and the air is a bit cleaner than in Provo. I enjoy having a washer and dryer, a dishwasher, and a working air conditioner. The house I live in is bigger than any house my parents have ever owned, although of course I only live in half of it. I feel like so many people take what they have for granted. I lived in two houses between the ages of 8 and 18--the rest of my life we lived in apartments. Even now, my parents live in an apartment and proabably will until they die. My mom has worked steadily full-time from her teenage years until now and has still managed to be an amazing mother who taught me how to be domestic. And I was a spoiled brat who knew families worse off than we ever were. I feel like some people buy a house right off, barely have to work, and then complain that they don't have enough. Anyway, sorry--back to Spanish Fork.
I was pleasantly surprised that I like it here. There are of course some draw backs. The commute for one. I haven't had to make it since school ended last week but I sort of dread it for the future. And theres my in-laws. I love my mother-in-law to death, she is a wonderful and giving person, but sometimes I find myself purposefully opposing her. Like when we moved, she was telling everyone where to put all the boxes, so I purposefully told them the opposite of what she said, and for some odd reason I enjoyed it. I know its only my own pride. Maybe its a rebellious streak left over from teen years. Who knows. Then there's being cut off from friends, although I usually feel that way anyway so maybe its not that different. Somewhere between the dating, engagement, and marriage I feel that I lost my ability to connect with members of my own gender. Its probably just a matter of practice. :)
But overall I really like it here and I hope we can stay a long while. And now its late so I am going to bed. Good night all!

1 comment:

  1. that's why you should invite me over to your house so I can see you're beautiful new home...and find out how close it is to my Spanish Fork boy....yes that's right, we need to catch up :)

    ReplyDelete